Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Girlfriend

September 8, 2010

Dear Ethan,

Today on the way home from Kindergarten, you casually informed me that you had a "girlfriend".

"You do?!" I said. "What's her name?"

You replied, "I don't remember, but it has a 'B' in it."

"Is she in your class?" ("Yes.")

"Do you sit by her at lunch?" ("I can't because we have to sit by the person we're in line with, and she's at the green table, not my table.")

"Do you hold her hand?" (laughing--"NO!")

"Who says she's your girlfriend?" ("I do.")

At this point, I nearly wanted to cry. I had a knot in my stomach and a load of bricks on my chest making it hard to breathe. I don't know why it was so hard for me to swallow this new information.

Was it because you are obviously too young to have a girlfriend? Was it because I felt like others were introducing you to new, mature concepts and I had no control over it? Was it because I could visually fast-forward ten years to the age Dad and I were when we met and started dating...and time seemed to be going all too fast for me to bear? Was it because I panicked about your purity and your heart?

I don't know. All I know is that I wanted to cry and I couldn't breathe.

About five minutes later, just before pulling into our driveway, I asked you, "What is a girlfriend?"
You said, "You know."
I said, "Well, you tell me. What is a girlfriend?"
"Mom," you said, "it's a friend who's a girl."

OH! Ah! "Oh, so like Ruth is your girlfriend because she's your friend and she's a girl."
"Yeah," you replied.
Whew. I breathed a sigh of relief and giggled as we unloaded out of the car.

I love you, Son. I'm so proud of you and I know you'll make wise choices. Don't grow up too fast, Little Bear!

love: Mommy


Dear Heavenly Father,

I bring my little boy before you and pray over his life as he grows and begins to come into a place where he desires love and companionship. Surround him with Godly influences. Give him your wisdom for the choices he will be faced with. Protect his purity and guard his heart until the one you have chosen to be his wife is ready. I pray for her, also, that she would walk in wisdom and purity, and that you would bring them together at just the right time. Bless their relationship and let it be pleasing to you. As Ethan matures, keep our lines of communication open and help us to be an appropriate model for him. Thank you that we can entrust our lives and our children's lives to you. Amen.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Ethan!!

That made me cry! I couldn't even read the prayer... it would've pushed me over the edge. :)

Shannon said...

Amen.

... and there goes my mascara ...

Mommy Moja said...

how sweet = )


from frona of