Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Blind Bartimeus

I asked Ethan to read me a Bible story the other day, and as he was flipping through a Bible, he came to this picture:Ethan asked me, "Why is that man doing this (imitating the blind man on the ground)?"

I explained to him that he was blind, and to drive home the point, I asked Ethan to close his eyes and only use his hands to find different things around his room.

As he was feeling around for my face, I remembered something funny from when I was a girl:

When I was about 9 or 10, I decided to have a life lesson, ala "Punky Brewster" episode 17. I was going to wear a blindfold and "see" what is was like to live life as a blind person for one whole day. Armed with my bandanna blindfold and broom stick, I began walking around our house.

I remember it wasn't very long into my experiment before I got a little bored with it and decided to start doing tricks with my seeing eye stick. I started to flip it around my back, when it became wedged between the wall and a large aquarium we had in our hallway. Without being able to see anything, my other "heightened senses" quickly alerted me to the sound of breaking glass and the feel of gushing water. Oh man, that tank broke all over our carpeted hallway. I remember it was a TON of water, and the fish were flopping all over the glass. We took the fish to a neighbor's house, but I don't remember if they took them in or not.

I remember my mom getting the towels and being most concerned about me not cutting my feet on the glass (thanks, Mom). I wish I had some deep parallel into this story, but I don't. That's the end of that one....



In puppy news, the kennel is going to replace a dog for me, plus medical. Ethan and I went back to Ollie's breeder and played with some puppies yesterday. There were three I liked:

This precious girl, Lady, but the breeder said she wasn't really a people-person. She knows I'm looking for a lap-sitter. She was sooo cute, but never came up to me.
The image “http://chihuahua4u.homestead.com/lady06-08_op_800x390.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


Then there is Rascal. He is soooo sweet and played with us the whole time. Problem is, he is itty-bitty and probably won't get over three pounds. That scares me with Ethan. Not to mention Ethan did pounce on him and trap him like a run-away hamster while we were visiting. Embarrassing....


And finally, there was Montel. He looked so much like Ollie, but with a long coat. He was personable and slept on my lap a lot. The breeder said he is much like Ollie in temperament and build, but a little less reserved. I'm not sold on a long coat, though:


(All puppies are from Robin Dyson, http://chihuahua4u.homestead.com)

I think I did find a little girl who stole my heart, though. She is a skinny little squirmy thing and she is a rescue from the shelter. Even though she is not the same "quality" as Ollie, she sure is sweet. Every time I sat down to visit with her, she ran up and sat on my lap. She is really outgoing, but very loving. I visited her three times in the past two days.

Chris, Ethan, and I are making one more trip to see all the dogs today. I feel like a contestant on "The Bachelor"....contemplating the qualities of each eligible match, looking at their pictures, spending time with each one.... Could you just see me in a room with all their pictures in a frame, taking each one down and looking introspective? HA! This decision feels HUGE to me. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not, but prayers for wisdom are welcomed!

1 comment:

Lizze said...

All of the puppies look super cute. I can't wait to find out your decision!