Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our daughters are here!

SO UNEXPECTED!!!

Early this week, I began to experience some odd pregnancy symptoms, and when I mentioned them to my doctor, he ordered lab work for a rare condition called cholestasis. This is a condition in which the gallbladder and liver are not functioning normally in pregnancy, and could have an extremely poor outcome (fetal death could happen without warning as the baby takes on the bile of the mother...if I've understood correctly).

Thursday afternoon (1/22), Chris and I were running errands, and the doctor called Chris' cell phone; he wanted us to both come to labor and delivery immediately. Not exactly the kind of call an expecting parent wants to get, but I kind of figured they just wanted to monitor the babies.

We arrived at L&D within 15 minutes. As soon as we walked to the nurses station, the doctor told us that I was very sick and that our babies would be delivered today.....WHAT?! Within two hours, I had labs drawn, sonogram to check the position of the babies (both head down! hooray!), and started on pitocin to induce labor.

A little after 2:00 a.m. on 1/23, I was wheeled into the operating room just in case an emergency c-section was needed. Delivery was so fast and beautiful! Audrey Elise was born at 2:25 a.m., crying and moving well (apgar scores 8/9). Norah Isabella was born at 2:33 a.m., cord wrapped around her neck, and making noise. After a little oxygen, she was also crying and doing well (apgar was also 8/9). Audrey weighed 4 lbs, 2 oz and Norah weighed 4 lbs, 1 oz. The NICU team wrapped them up and let us spend a few minutes with them before taking them to the NICU. They were born at 33 weeks, 2 days gestation. Praise God for a smooth delivery, great weights, and healthy girls for such an early delivery!

They both had a little help keeping their lungs open with a machine called a CPAP, but both were able to do all the breathing on their own. Later that day, both girls were already off the CPAP and breathing room air (a super mile stone!).

Lots of details about their progress, but the bottom line is that they are both doing FANTASTIC! We have been able to hold them, help change their diapers, give a bath, and spend time parenting our little peanuts. Our spirits are high and both Chris and I are on cloud nine being able to care for our beautiful daughters.

I will try to update pictures. I can't believe how busy the hospital has kept me. I thought that was supposed to be a place to rest! For those thinking it's easier having babies in the nursery than at home....it's not! Timing things right and still trying to find the time to eat, pump breast milk, give updates, visit the girls, visit with Ethan....it's all very exhausting!

I just got home today. My liver and gallbladder are still not functioning, so I need to follow up with a couple doctors this week. Hopefully it will not lead to having my gallbladder removed.

Random notes:
"Audrey"=Noble strength, "Elise"=Pledged to God
"Norah"= Ray of sunshine, "Isabella"=Pledged to God

Audrey has lots of dark hair and a slimmer face. Norah has a little peach-fuzz head and big jowels!

Just like in the womb, Audrey is more calm, but Norah is crazy. She has earned the nickname "Wild Thing" by one of her nurses. We are amazed at how much they move around and respond to our voices. We wonder how much they can really see, but it sure feels like they like to look at us and take it all in! Both girls like their pacifiers and look so cute as they suck.

Ethan got to see his sisters yesterday (ssshhh...kids are not supposed to be in the NICU during RSV/Flu season, but a sweet nurse snuck him in last night). He's a proud big brother, and also having fun spending the days with all his different friends.

We are blessed by everyone's help and support. Keep the prayers coming for all of us....we are still floating on excitement, but as exhaustion sets in, I know we'll need the continued prayers for strength and joy.

Pictures today or tomorrow!!

8 comments:

kellbelle96 said...

Congratulations!! So glad to hear that everything went well and that the girls are doing great! :)

Anonymous said...

Yaaayy!!! I couldnt be happier for you guys!!

xoxo

Kami said...

YAY Mommy!!!!! I am so happy for your family!!

Kami

Jonna Wilson said...

PRAISE THE LORD!! I'm so happy for ya'll! I will keep you all in my prayers! Thanks for sharing in such a busy time!! : )

Anonymous said...

Michelle & Chris, So happy for you guys...the girls are beautiful and I glad to hear that they are doing well. You all are in my prayers. Love, Nickie

Krista Nash said...

Congratulations Michelle! I can't believe you have had the where withall to update the blog but am so thankful you have been. They are beautiful! I love the names. Have to say I am a little biased considering their middle names are similar to my girls' middle names. Elizabeth and Isabelle - picked for the same reason. Congrats again. So exciting!

Amelia Nguyen said...

your vivid narrative about your adventures from a normal day at the grocery to the hospital left me so tensed! woww... you are an extrememly strong and wonderful mother Michelle. I wish I could visit you often to learn from you! Thank you for updating your blog. I enjoy reading and looking at the lovely pictures you posted; especially the pictures of your 36 inch belly with two BABIES INSIDE!!!

Linsi said...

Praise God on such a great delivery and healthy sweet baby girls!! I love the meanings of their names and they are soo sweet!! I am soo happy for you guys and pray more and more wonderful health, rest and blessing!!
Linsi