Friday, April 11, 2008

Growing up

Our perfect Spring Day (kite flying, the smell of fresh cut grass, Ethan exclaiming, "I like relaxin'!, and a walk with the two dogs), also included this conversation:

A boy across the street, maybe 10 years old, is walking his dog. Ethan is in his stroller and I'm pushing him, along with the dogs.

Ethan: Look, that boy is all by himself.

Mom: Yep, he sure is. I guess he's old enough so he doesn't have to walk with his mom or dad.

Ethan: silence for about 5 minutes. Then out of no where, turns to me and says: I wish I was old to not have to walk with you.

Mom: Really?! But I LIKE walking with you! Don't you like to walk with me?

Ethan: yeah.

sniff. my baby boy will not be my baby forever. We will proudly send him off and praise him for his independence along the way, but boy, statements like this make me want to grab onto him and kiss his soft little cheeks until they are raw. I think I will take extra time to rub his little head tonight while he is sleeping.

No comments: