Thursday, May 15, 2008

Catching Up

Ethan has been showing a lot of interest in reading lately, asking what every sign we come across says and pointing out sight words (my personal favorite is when he loudly asks me over and over again about the sign that hangs above the tiny trashcans in the women's restroom stalls--"What's that mean? But what's if for??"). Today on our way out of school, we got a special brownie wrapped in a pretty purple foil. Ethan asked if he could eat it on the way home, but I told him he could have it after we got home. He was sitting in his car seat looking at all the words on the wrapper and he smiles and says, "Look Mommy, these words say, 'Eat. It. Now.'" (It didn't really say that). Clever little guy.



$.26 That's how much change Chris just pulled out of his truck CD player. When Ethan was about one, he decided to deposit some change in Daddy's CD player...about a week after we purchased the truck. Chris hasn't been able to play CD's, and the sound of the quarter sliding around in there on corner turns drove him crazy. When we pulled in tonight, Chris starting tinkering with the radio and managed to pull it apart. He just brought me the quarter and the penny that have been plaguing him for two years. Here's hoping he can get it all put together again. He just said something. It was either, "I'm really close" or "I'm really screwed". I hope it's the first.


We went to Pappadeux for dinner tonight, and while waiting, Ethan was entertaining himself with a magnetic necklace of mine:

Can you guess what he was pretending? He draped it around his neck, then "snapped" each of the magnets together, making sure each piece was inline. "This is my firefighter jacket." This kid. Seriously. Here he is after he fell asleep on the way home with his "Firefighter Jacket" all buttoned up:

Take note of the unfastened seatbelt. On our way out to run an errand this afternoon, Chris and I were in the front of the car and Ethan was in his seat. About five minutes after we left, Ethan started to laugh...."Hey, my seatbelt is not on!" Oh my. Heart-attack moment. We were already on the main road near an intersection. I gave praise to God for keeping us safe, and whipped around to buckle him up. Only one of the three of us thought it was funny.




Ethan had his second dentist appointment yesterday. What a big, brave boy! He walked back all by himself, and all smiles. Chris and I secretly spied on him from the lobby. He was PERFECT. The dentist even commented that they were pointing him out to other patients as an example. After his check-up, he picked out a Sticky Hand, a Batman sticker, and asked the dentist for two orange gloves.
After the dentist, Chris and Ethan accompanied me to my appointment of the womanly type. They were the only non-females in the office, and I quietly said to them, "I'm glad to be here with my two boys." Ethan blurts out, "We are boys because we have a penis!" Chris and I were so surprised and made the mistake of letting a laugh out. Of course, Ethan had to say it LOUDER. Nice touch.

This will officially end the longest post ever.

No comments: