Friday, September 19, 2008

Boy of Faith

This is a story from a couple weeks ago, but worth remembering to me.

It was a bright and clear Sunday morning when we were driving to church...not a cloud in the sky. Just as we approached church, Ethan says the following all in one breath:
"I wish it could rain. I like the rain. God, please make it to rain. Thank you, God. Amen."

Sweet little boy. I knew there was no chance of rain.

The next day, I was doing work around the house, when all the sunlight started going away. I looked outside and couldn't believe it...dark clouds closing in! I turned on the weather radar, and saw tons of "green" headed over our city! I grabbed Ethan and we started to cheer, "Thank you God for sending the rain!! Yayy God!!"

We were already on our way out to visit with a friend at the park, so we kept our plans. A little drop on the car. Another little drop. A drop at the park. Then another. Then suddenly, we're running for home trying to get out of the downpour. It rained for two days!

What a lesson in faith and prayer for our little boy.

God, thank you for your faithfulness and for the opportunity AGAIN to show me and Ethan that you do hear us when we talk to you. Please continue to reveal yourself to Ethan and grow him into a man of faith who walks closely with you and talks to always as a friend.

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." James 5:16

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm cleaning the house, but just thinking through this life lesson---it hit me how this is not just a life lesson for Ethan, but for me, as well.

Thinking about his prayer,
--Ethan put no time constraints on God. He made his requests known to God, but didn't put God on a timetable.
--Ethan didn't stress and worry about whether God would answer his prayer or not. There are times in our lives when we need to wrestle and persevere in our prayers, but never a time to worry about whether God will take care of the situation.
--Ethan believed. God, help me to have the kind of faith Jesus asks of us--childlike and trusting.
--Ethan gave thanks, even before the prayer was answered. God hears us and He loves us. That is enough to be thankful for. On top of that, He takes care of us, even when the timing and the answer are not always exactly what we would have planned (like giving you twins after praying for another child for a looong time!!).

Thank you, God, for Ethan. Keep my eyes open to learn more from this little person.

No comments: