Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Don't Say That WORD!!!

Four-year-old vaccinations STINK---just as much for the Mommy and Daddy as the little guy :(

We had brought up the issue of "shots" several weeks ago when we were preparing Ethan for his flu shot. It wasn't a pretty sight. I think his last shot was over a year ago, but he still had a strong reaction to even the mention of a shot. Luckily, his flu shot was nixed and he got the mist instead.

Today, we decided to forgo the anxiety of a pep-talk and just let the shots unroll. He was still awfully suspicious, though. He kept insisting that he DID NOT want a shot. This morning, he came up with a great plan. Through almost-there tears, he said, "Don't say that word!" as if not mentioning it at the doctors would make her forget all about it.

He did fantastic at his appointment. He looked dang cute in the little paper gown :) At the very end, the nurse finally arrived with the goods. He knew. It was SO SAD. He asked me why they were getting the band-aids out, and that's when I broke the news to him. It was instant tears and intensity.....and I got blamed for it----"I told you not to say that word!!!!" These were the worst shots Chris and I had to comfort our baby for. Gosh, I am choking back my tears now just thinking about it :( Four shots. Stinks.

He seemed to recover pretty quick. By the time he picked out his Sponge Bob pencil topper and Spider Man sticker, he was back to normal. At least we got a Chuck E. Cheese afternoon out of the deal. And I got to see my man play the Johnny Nero Action Hero game again :)

No more vaccines until about age 11. Phew! By that time, maybe it'll come in a mist or patch form!

No comments: