Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Today I would be 36 weeks pregnant

Here is my last belly shot--a little over 33 weeks, and my belly shot from earlier this week--about 2 1/2 weeks postpartum. There's a slight difference.



Ethan asked me the other day, "Which baby looks like a girl?" I said, "They are both girls." He said, "I know, but the one with all the black hair looks like a girl, and the other one looks like a boy."

This, coupled with a new NICU mom who said, "Oh is it a boy and a girl?" and the fact that Norah eats like a pig gave me some issues about her being "boyish". So, I sewed bows on the girls hats today. Now they both look pretty and girly.

Ms. Joey came today and encouraged us SO much. It was just what I needed. She even wore her "Happy Shirt"...she wore it special for Audrey and Norah, who showed their appreciation by sleeping through her entire visit.

No new news today, really. Dr. C, the neonatologist who told us to gear up for the girls' homecoming this week, talked a bit about getting geared up again. She was reviewing their charts and I didn't get a final answer before having to leave. Dr. M, the other more conservative neonatologist who canceled Norah's room-in, is on duty the next couple days. I'm expecting to not hear much from him about their homecoming. Norah is doing really well and will most likely be home before Audrey. Audrey still gets tuckered out during her bottle feeds, so she has been taking every third feeding by tube. She still needs to master the nipple before coming home.

The last couple days have been discouraging. The switch to the transitional nursery stunk...no other way to put it (they are back in the regular NICU as of last night--they had room to move them back. It's so much nicer in there!). The high to low of getting ready to have the girls home and then suddenly hearing nothing more than, "We're going to wait a bit and see" stunk. Both girls went a bit sideways on their feedings. That stunk. I'm exhausted. That stinks.

As I crawled back in bed this morning at 6:00 a.m., I let the tears roll down my cheeks. I'm ready for these sweet babies to be home. I want to snuggle them and put them to my breast and bathe them. I want Ethan to see his sisters and kiss them and touch their fingers. I want to wake to hungry, crying babies, not an alarm clock. I want to run errands with my children instead of feeling guilty because I'm not using the time to be with the babies or with Ethan (because of this, I think I've run a total of 2 errands in the past 3 weeks). I just want our family to be together.

As I thought about these things and prayed for strength and grace to get through this, the Lord reminded me..."My grace IS sufficient for you. My power is perfected in weakness" II Corinthians 12:9. The rest of the verse says, "Most gladly, therefore, I would rather boast about my weaknesses that the power of Christ may dwell in me." So, although I'm having a "sad day", there are so many other things that are praiseworthy.....
Thank you, Lord---
That Audrey and Norah are here. They are healthy. They are strong. Our challenges have been few.
They are at a hospital that is close and easy to commute to.
Chris is supportive and wonderful.
Ethan has taken this transition in stride.
We have the most beautiful of women caring for our family right now---prayers, grocery shopping, meals, taking turns caring for Ethan---we absolutely could not do this without the help we've received from family and friends.
My recovery has been easy and painless. I did not have to have my gallbladder removed. My liver issue is self-correcting (or, as we know, God is healing me).
We have opportunities to share the love and hope of Jesus with nurses and other parents on a daily basis.
The Lord is in control. He knew exactly when Audrey and Norah would be born and He knows exactly when they will come home. I can trust His timing and His plan no matter what.
Through this experience, I can grow in faith. This is another adventure in knowing my Creator more intimately than the day before.
Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to go through this time of weakness so that Your power can be manifest in me. You are the only strength I have. I want You to be glorified in me. Help me to rejoice, rejoice, rejoice in all that You are doing and all that You are allowing us to go through. Thank you because You love us, You love our girls, You love our family, and we can trust You and Your ways.
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Michelle. I so wish I still lived down the street from you. I'd smother you!! The girls look so much chunkier and fuller in their little faces. I just know they are coming home soon. ((HUGS))

Okay. Now. When did you get a sewing machine?! The bows are ADORABLE!!!

And, for the record - they both look very girlie. :) You could always apply a little mascara. You're never too young.

Also... has Ranger forgiven me yet?

Linsi said...

Praise the Lord for all that He is doing and continuing to do in you and your family! I pray for continued great reports and progress and that God would hold you and comfort you through all the ups and downs you are going through! I pray for protection and peace over you all! I am so amazed at who you are and the witness you have bc you have your full trust in CHrist!
Linsi